Monday, July 28, 2014

Note to self: testing is really important

It's been an interesting couple of weeks. As I mentioned in my last blog post, I've been working on integrating WCSAxes into APLpy. It was going pretty well in the beginning but now things are starting to get complicated (just to be clear, I'm not complaining!). APLpy isn't a very big package but it still has a lot of features which I need to make sure work as I integrate WCSAxes into it. *THAT* is the tricky part. This means extensive testing after small re-writes of code to make sure new features work and I haven't broken something that was working previously. Well, that's the ideal workflow - I should have been doing extensive testing this way but sigh, I didn't. I've almost (I feel like the coyote who's *almost* caught the roadrunner as I say this) made most of the new code work but over the past few days I got so wrapped up in cleaning bits of code which I didn't test out fully that I broke a pretty important part of APLpy, plotting data cubes. I'm not sure where I broke it and my commit history is a mess (because I kept committing changes without testing them out fully again) so git bisect didn't help me identify where the problem started either.

This week is Eid, an Islamic holiday (Eid Mubarak to any Muslims reading this!!) so I won't have that much time to figure out where I introduced this bug, but once I do, I'll probably stock up on Pepsi, blare loud music in the background and carefully comb through my branch to examine all the code changes. That's it for now! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment